Friday, October 3, 2008

Obama Vs. McCain

McCain vs. Obama Debate

I thought this debate was very fun to watch because both candidates were smart, well-informed, and good debaters. I pretty much had an idea on where both the candidates stood on most of the issues but the part I found most intriguing was the little details they were bringing up about each other. For example, McCain talked about decreasing the size of government and cut spending. One example was the $3 million to study the DNA of bears in Montana. I’m not sure if Obama supported this or not but I’m pretty sure McCain didn’t.
One of the Obama’s points that I’m having really hard time following is to pull out the troops out of Iraq and concentrate them in Afghanistan.
I think by now, it does not really matter where you stand on whether we should have invaded Iraq or not issue. We’re already in there, and you can’t make a decision today that reflects yesterday’s issues. We went there for WMD but now the issue is terrorism.
Even thought I disagree with most of Obama’s foreign policy issues, he did raise some good questions, such as whether we should start talking with countries such as Iran and Syria. For the sake of peace and humanity, I believe all diplomatic options should be exhausted before any military strike.

1 comment:

Gator said...

The conventional wisdom was that Obama did not have to win the debate - he just needed to hold his own against McCain. Do you think he did this? SOmetimes debates are not so much about specific policy stands as they are about which candidate comes across as looking the most "presidential."