Monday, September 15, 2008

Investigation On Campaign Finance

First I just want to thank professor Fairbanks for giving us those links. I don't think I would have ever found them. I found so many interesting facts about my community, the Republic of Texas, and many other intriguing people.

One interesting fact that I found on OpenSecrets.org was the fact that Oil & Gas companies donated only $6,874,230 in Texas, compared to Lawyers and Lawfirms who donated about twice as much. I think that because the off-shore drilling issue has been brought up lately, I wouldn't be suprised if the Oil & Gas contributions doubled or trippled in the coming months.

According to CommonCause.org, there are some problems with the current campaign finance laws. Both of the candidates have raised this issue, however, looks like they have postponed it for at least untill the elections is over.

1 comment:

Gator said...

There are lots of problems with current campaign finance laws but no easy or obvious way to fix them. There are so many ways people can give money to support a candidate or political cause that it is very difficult to get a comprehesive picture of who all is giving to whom. The Federal Election Commission site is probably the most authroitative one to go to but is not the easiest to use.